Monday, May 7, 2018

SriLanka, February 2018


We visited Sri Lanka in February 2018 with a g-Adventures tour that included one week in Sri Lanka followed by one week aboard a dhoni boat in Maldives.  The boat trip featured snorkeling every day.

We started in Ngombo after landing in Colombo.  The Colombo airport is actually much closer to Ngombo than it is to Colombo, by the way.  We planned to arrive a day before our tour started to allow for any unforeseen issues that are possible with air travel.  Since we arrived on schedule we had a day to look around Ngombo.

We had a walk on the beach and explored near our hotel in the morning.  I spent a large part of the afternoon shopping  on foot - looking for paper towels since I neglected to bring any.  I became lost and walked about 8 miles before I returned back at the J Hotel where we were staying.  That evening we met our fellow travelers at a briefing at the hotel. Or group consisted of 2 Canadians, 4 British, 2 Germans, and 6 Americans.

I'd be remiss if I did not tell you that one of the high points of the Sri Lanka part of our trip was the outstanding food.  Our guide, Aruna, was amazing.  He made himself available to make sure he was with members of the tour that saw doctors whenever there were any aches and pain that needed attention.

Fortunately, all of our fellow travelers were very conscious of specified meeting times.  We actually assembled a few minutes early for each of the scheduled events and left early for all, or nearly all, of the next destinations.

I should point out that my interests are more in the wild side of our travel.  I have less interest in the things that man has added to the natural scene.  So in the video I did not include very much information about the industrial, civic, and religious things that we saw.

Since we are attempting not to collect souvenirs we did minimal shopping.

The video is a brief description of the rest of our time in Sri Lanka:

No comments:

Post a Comment